Wednesday 2 January 2019

101 Faces - 9

Here we are with 41 to 45

BENAZIR BHUTTO
Beside the fact that she was always a compelling, unique newsworthy figure in a country that, because of cricket, I took a particular interest in as a child, I found her return to what always seemed inevitable death an extraordinary, anachronistic thing, a broad stroke of Greek tragedy played out on TV.

BERNARD BUTLER
This interview, where Bernard Butler talks about Yes, how much he loves it, and his joy at hearing it at the fireworks, is a treasure. I love McAlmont too, and there’s a brilliant clip of him describing how to sing it, and he did a fantastic, unusual album with Michael Nyman a few years back. Back to Butler, it’s just everything he’s associated with sounds so great, he’s just the master of making guitar music that sounds great.

BRENDAN BEHAN
I love his sad Irish face that’s not kidding anyone and his brisk witty writing that’s not kidding anyone. Anyway, who's next, Beryl Bainbridge, Betty Bacall, Bill Bailey? Sadly not ...

VIRGINIA WOOLF
We were often at Knole Park when we lived in Sevenoaks – it’s by far the best thing about the town. The enormous house is the kind of place you get told off for wearing a rucksack, but so be it. So I associate Woolf with Knole a bit. I think I was in the Noaks when I read some of her stuff, and was rewarded for my initial bafflement. Aah, I’ve read some Virginia Woolf, I say to myself when I’m just a guy who watches sport and forgets where his keys are.

MARVELOUS MARVIN HAGLER
I love that Marvin didn’t switch around between weights. The rest came to him. I’m  the middleweight king, come fight me. He beat them all, really. Leonard’s on the record as beating him. He retired in disgust.
I wear Marvin on a t-shirt as proudly as I wore Joe Strummer. He's a champion of southpaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment