Wednesday 9 January 2019

101 Faces - 13

Here we are, 61 to 65, cracking on ...

ROSA PARKS
It is quite common for someone to be reduced by the idea of history we can ingest to a single moment, almost to the idea of accidental greatness - Bob Beamon, Alfred the Great, Archimedes, Isaac Newton. Understandable. I think I thought of Rosa Parks for a long time as just someone who happened to do something on a given day. But that's not it, is it? She was all in, before and after.

JOAN BAEZ
I can sometimes take or leave Joan's crystal voice, but she's a fantastically reliable witness to all the madness, a brilliantly acerbic taker, and just someone who perpetually sings the songs and lives the life. And Diamonds and Rust is such a killer, because, really, it's as great as most Bob Dylan songs.

JOHN GOODMAN
Ha, I'm just messing about a bit here, but this Goodman is just as great as it gets in film over film - terrifying and hilarious, dumb or deep or whatever. Walter Sobchak is the heart and soul of my favourite film. And, a little trick when you watch The Big Lebowski, the Dude's always wrong, Walter is always right.

IRIS MURDOCH
Great books, great face. I thought, before I read the Murdoch books that I have, that they would be so much less fun than they are. I really intend to read a lot more. The world she describes is clear and brilliant.

KAZIMIR MALEVICH
My friend Alexander always went on about Malevich, and I came to understand why - a great political artist who was master of all styles, who pioneered his own, whose paintings all reach out at you when you see them on display.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever talked about Malevich with you, but I, too am called Alex and love his work.

    ReplyDelete