Friday 18 January 2019

101 Faces - 18

JAMES DEAN BRADFIELD
I’ve written before about how much I love JDB – to be the guy who sings like Freddie Mercury and plays guitar like Slash and composes the songs and, while an extremely clever and articulate man, be the mouthpiece for two other people’s dark and occasionally unwieldy lyrics, I just think he shoulders a mighty burden magnificently.

GRUFF RHYS
This other Welshman I also love without measure, obviously, hunched over and fiddling with things, or standing tall and casually leading the wild headfuck of a wonder band. An ideas factory. All his songs are explosions of previously unconsidered content, new worlds to explore. These two Welsh guys, they embody all the good in that now-maligned man-rock world - they are absolutely and wholly, in completely different ways, the very best of it.

JULIA DONALDSON
Her books are just the mainstay of recent years, and you'd go mental if you didn't actually enjoy them. Axel Scheffler's illustrations are also, obviously, super.

DAVID EMANUEL
A bit daft this, but I played rugby with his son when we were young, and he would always come and watch, not your typical rugby dad, always immaculately dressed, always incredibly nice, friendly, supportive, as he was when I went to his son’s birthday parties. And then he was on a I’m a Celebrity a few years ago, and, again, just seemed really nice, and actually I've watched a lot more episodes of Say Yes to the Dress than you might think!
I think he was the first "famous" person I ever met properly, and he was a good start.

KUMAR SANGAKKARA
No, you don't understand anything if you don't realise that contructing test match innings is the most profound and beautiful thing in sport by far. There you go. And this man did it better over a long period than anyone since Don Bradman. And here's Kumar for all the left-handed batters I love, Gower, Lara, Bevan, Jack Russell ...

No comments:

Post a Comment