Monday 5 February 2024

Poem (7): The end of the affair

Well, if you know the book with this name, that's what this is, by and large, all about... this 3.75km perimeter triangle of sadness ... she never thought it would happen, that night she ain't forgotten ...

It is a rondeau - the third last line is wrong. I only noticed that a bit late, and tried to think how to change it (it should rhyme with "ain") but in the end settled for the mistake ...

The end of the affair

I walked awhile within the rain

to sting the edges from this pain

which had begun in heart and head

but inconveniently spread

from Cedars Road to Crescent Lane.

 

The doctor’d told me to remain

inside - to leave would not be sane.

I did agree, and yet, instead,

I walked awhile.

 

It felt, to walk that land again,

as if, in bloom, I could remain

unknowing of what lay ahead.

But then, unbid, a drop of red

told me that as the waking dead

I walked awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment