Sunday 4 February 2024

Poem (6): The land below


For reasons I don't really understand, when I posted this poem on allpoetry, lots of people liked it. To me, it's kind of ok, but I'm a bit interested in whether it does have a characteristic I otherwise struggle to muster, or whether it was just a coincidence of the day ...

The land below

The oak tree was at the bottom of six sloped acres,

its sinewed branches eavesdropping

on the villages below – I’d no time not

to trust the ropes and splintered seat,

no choice not to follow those who’d swung before

out into the world. All at once

the orchards, the war memorials, the midnight

meetings and farmer’s markets, petty

crimes and fights in car parks could all be mine.

As large and attainable as any world could be.

 

Gripping the rope with palms used to scraping

tarmac, extending knees never unscabbed,

I could have done somersaults, I swear.

 

It’s easy enough to be brave, I think now

every other tough choice comes before being brave,

now I know the side of every path holds

a fresh threat, a trip, a test, a letter home,

every acre could shrink or slip, each sledge

could jackknife, each swing could snap, but

I could have jumped, executed a somersault

and landed

in a world I’d already conquered, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment