Tuesday 13 February 2024

Poem (15): Last night I dreamed in colour

 


Last night I dreamed in colour

At school, they used to show us Pathé films

of the Hindenburg, or Donald Campbell 

in the Bluebird, and I would wonder from

how far away it’s sport to stare at death,

or whether they were testing our response

for nascent signals of psychopathy.

I’m still not sure what I was meant to feel

or whether I’ve evolved to greater depth

of understanding in the face of fire

and flash, of farce and fury as we trip

and totter backwards like stoned kids caught in

a bar fight, mesmerised by shards of glass

like milk-rich babies, seeing black and white,

just black and white with gentle shades of grey.

 

Last night I dreamed of Donald Campbell fast

and brave on Coniston, I saw his face,

I felt his breath, and now, we lift, we lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment