Sunday 15 March 2009

9. 10 songs about Emilys

A Rose for Emily - The Zombies
Emily - Joanna Newsom
See Emily Play - Pink Floyd
Emily - Stephen Fretwell
Emily - Barbra Streisand
For Emily, Whenver I May Find Her - Simon and Garfunkel
Emily - Adam Green
Emily's Pine - The Bluetones
Emily - Manic Street Preachers
Emily - Kelly Jones

I have no words of my own for anyone called Emily, apart from Hello Emily if you're reading this, so I'll take these lush words from 'Emily' by Joanna Newsom, about her astronomer sister

"And, Emily, I saw you last night by the river
I dreamed you were skipping little stones across the surface of the water
Frowning at the angle they were lost, and slipped under forever,
In a mudcloud, mica-spangled,like the sky'd been breathing on a river

Anyhow, I sat by your side, by the water
You taught me the names of the stars up overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
Though all i knew of that rote universe were those pleiades loosed in December
I promised you I'd set them to verse so I'd always remember

that the meteorite is the source of the light
and the meteor's just what we see
and the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee
and the meteorite's just what causes the light
and the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee"

I don't know if this is all strictly true, but it's quite fun

No comments:

Post a Comment