Monday 2 March 2009

101 Tapes - the beginning .... songs about Music

After a few teething problems, I think I've hit on the appropriate format for the blog. In the spirit of the original idea - listing music - but in a more user-friendly, shorter-listed way, I will seek to produce 101 separate tracklists for themed compilation tapes.
Back in the day, I used to make tapes all the time for myself and for my friends, but of course it's now a defunct form. Sites like muxtape have tried to keep the dream alive, but I tend to find them rather unsatisfactory, so this is my own little mixtape haven.
Ideally, I'd have links to the songs etc, but I think I'll keep it simple and tidy and stick to dry words.
For added value, I will also include some extra words underneath the tracklisting, whether my own or borrowed from somewhere, hopefully on the same theme.
I'm sure this has been done a million times before, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about this - I've already come up with over 10 ideas for tapes, and we'll see what kind of silliness I can come up with to accompany them.
So, here we go, Tape 1: 10 Songs which ... celebrate or mock Music and the Music Scene

Sweeping the Nation - Spearmint
The Late Greats - Wilco
Heard about your Band - Brakes
Garageland - The Clash
Geno - Dexys Midnight Runners
Creeque Alley - Mamas and the Papas
Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll - The Killers
I Know Someone Who Knows Someone Who Knows Alan McGee Quite Well - Pooh Sticks
Fake Takes of San Francisco - Arctic Monkeys
C30 C60 C90 Go - Bow Wow Wow

As Wilco say
"The best song will never get sung
The best laugh never leaves your lungs
So good, you won't ever know
I never hear it on the radio
Can't hear it on the radio"

so here's a song which doesn't have a tune about a band which doesn't have any members or has never produced any music.
They are my favourite band of all time - they're called The Turkletons

Let's go see The Turkletons playing
Everyone's saying they're the next best next best
I hear they're like The Smiths on acid
or maybe that was The Shins on speed

Have you got the new Turkletons single
It's a blast of sun-drenched punk
The Beach Boys meet the Sex Pistols
Al Jardine gets beaten up

I really like your Turkletons t-shirt
classic indie merchandising
you could do with losing some pounds
indie fashion's unforgiving

My mate's met the Turkletons drummer
in the loo at Koko, I think
He said their album'll be a classic
but i think they're already past it

So that's the story of The Turkletons, the greatest band that never lived, and that's how it works - themed virtual tape, silly words of some sort. 101 times. Yippee

No comments:

Post a Comment