Monday 2 March 2009

3. 10 Songs about Sport

This Sporting Life - The Decemberists
When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease - Roy Harper
I Wish - Skee-Lo
Piazza, New York Catcher - Belle and Sebastian
Waltze of the Tennis Players - Meg Baird
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Snooker Loopy - The Matchroom Mob
The Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner - Belle and Sebastian
Three Lions - The Lightning Seeds
Ice Hockey Hair - Super Furry Animals

I love Sport. It's the best thing in the world. To prove it conclusively, I draw upon these overblown words. They trundle along in imitation of Derek Pringle running into bowl

When I'm feeling low, when I'm feeling insipid
When I've no noble notion within me to share
When all that is fine about me is crippled
by the grinding motion of going nowhere
When my days turn to night and the nights have no fire
When the drop is straight and straits are dire
I watch sport
Oh yes .... I watch sport.

When I'm sad and blue, when the deck is stacked
When the clouds don't break for the summer's length
When I'm sucked dry of temper and tired out of tact
and no god I could muster could just give me strength
When my words turn to dust and the dust coats my room
And no lamp will serve to lighten the gloom
I watch sport
That's right .... I watch sport.

When the symphony's silent
When the chords clang and clash
When the filmmaker's art's
Lost in longing for cash
When the poet's derided
for losing all touch
When a soul needs supporting
and art is no crutch

For the simplest of pleasures
The truest of joys
For fair separation
of men from the boys
For battle less bloody
than Plataea or Culloden
For the apex of cultures
both ancient and modern
For humanity's rising, triumphant, surprising
Federer, Henin, Wilkinson, Ambrose, Gebrselaissie, Woods and Calzaghe
Giggs and Habana, Le Tissier, Gower, Bolt, Flintoff, Lara
I watch sport every time.

So there we have it. The final word on the matter

No comments:

Post a Comment