Thursday 11 January 2024

Love songs

What are the greatest love songs?

A slightly absurd question.

So, in this case, I'll be quite specific as to what I mean by a love song. There are great songs of passion and romance which aren't reallu love songs, from Be My Baby to If This Ain't Love. Nor, necessarily joyous good vibe songs like My Girl and Good Vibrations. You don't learn anything from those songs, you just experience them. And there are great songs of grief, breakup, longing and torment. Not quite any of them. 

I want these to be love songs, that express great love, probably for one specific person, and really make you go "well, that's a lot of love".

Of course, everyone's got a different idea of this. I'm not going to try to be too clever. I remember someone (can't remember who) saying Ace of Spades was the greatest love song ever written, but I won't be too obtuse or frivolous.

These will be songs that strike me as great true love songs. Some of them will be pretty obvious.

  • Take It With Me - Tom Waits
  • I’ve Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding
  • The Way You Look Tonight - Fred Astaire
  • If I Could Only Fly - Merle Haggard
  • Being Alive (from Company)
  • A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
  • Losing You - Randy Newman
  • Into My Arms - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  • In California/Does Not Suffice - Joanna Newsom
  • Reservations - Wilco
  • Maria (from West Side Story)
  • Can’t Do Much - Waxahatchee
  • First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
  • 1+1 - Beyonce
  • Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
  • Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • Umbrella - Rihanna
  • New York - St Vincent
  • No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses
  • Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
  • God Only Knows - Beach Boys
  • Simple Man - Graham Nash
  • Ain’t No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
  • River Deep Mountain High - Tina Turner
  • On and On - The Longpigs
  • You are Everything - Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross
  • Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space - Spiritualized
  • I Would Fix You - Kenickie
  • Lucky - Radiohead
  • Ain't That Enough - Teenage Fanclub
  • Scottish Pop - Spearmint
  • Something Changed - Pulp
  • Protection - Massive Attack
  • There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
  • Jesus to a Child - George Michael
  • To You Alone - The Beach Boys
  • How Deep is Your Love - Bee Gees
  • Absolute Beginners - David Bowie
  • Songbird - Fleetwood Mac
  • Someone to Watch Over Me - Ella Fitzgerald
  • What’ll I Do - McGarrigles
  • Hyperballad - Bjork
  • My Funny Valentine - Ella Fitzgerald
  • Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
  • Alyosha - Susanne Sundfor
  • I Believe When I Fall in Love With You It Will Be Forever - Stevie Wonder
  • Starlings - Elbow
  • My Girls - Animal Collective
  • Rainy Night in Soho - The Pogues

I got distracted by thinking about another list, but here we go. Might add more. Might make a playlist ...


No comments:

Post a Comment