Wednesday 31 January 2024

Poem (2): Where I live, people don't understand


This is a classic example of a bad title. The title is the opposite of the meaning, really, but I like it, so keep it.

Anyway, in the pandemic, I thought about outer West London in the 1980s and early 90s a lot, and this is mainly about that.

Where I live, people don't understand

People don’t understand where I live, a real place

within the tamest imagination which has slipped

off a cliff it clung to – just a workplace mishap,

they say, those who dare not venture beyond the script

 

to the source material, to the bodies buried

in the concrete of the overpass in summertime.

For all the conversations I hung on but was not

invited to join, all the errata I underlined

 

in green suburban pen, the blood smudge picnic

of only-child nitpicks, that’s not so hard to grasp,

now, is it? Is it, now we write Horatian odes

to Brunel’s first viaduct as history chugs past

 

with trousers down, sunburnt and swearing it’s blind

like Oedipus, wise like Tiresias, broke like

the marbled ankle of an intercity jewel thief

who lied about falling off his childhood bike,

 

just a journeyman millionaire slowly turning blue

from embarrassment. I live there, a skittering dog

on a working lock, while narrowboats wait for romance

to fade and a stranger to stroll straight out of the fog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment