Wednesday 22 May 2019

City Sonnets - 65 and 66

Two about being submerged without having really thought about it in advance ....


... which ...

... if you think about it ...

... is a lot like life ...


ELIE
Surprised, abruptly spinning under waves
I taste the shock salt of a ruder joke
Than written – I’ve not banked on being brave
This morning, honestly, have barely woke
From sluggish dreams, take several seconds down
To check I’m safe, at least, from sinking fast
And hard, scrape up to eye the fishing town
At peace, now framing faces all aghast.

The fun stops then and there for some, though I
Dig out some spirit from I know not where
And carry on a bit, I know not why
And freeze it up as long as I can bear
Until, when gritting/chattering teeth on land,
I note the blue sea’s less blue than my hand.

BARRA DA UNA
You lead upstream a while through motorboats,
Jetskis and swimmers, bronzed and buoyant packs
Of Christmas kids born languidly afloat.
I find my paddle’s pace and mind relaxed,
At which you turn, you nod, accelerate
Along the bar, past basking garden grown-
Ups – even if- , I wouldn’t hesitate,
In any case, to steer to that unknown.

Here’s the Atlantic, here’s extreme-ish sport
Impromptu and so quickly thrilling, gone
Beyond the beach and back, a wave now caught
For one, two, three, four, forward, on and on,
And … lean, and flip, I’m smartly down and spun
Alive - a deed, you led, we did, it’s done.

No comments:

Post a Comment