Wednesday 1 May 2019

City Sonnets - 47 and 48


Here are two more - they're bot about having FUN!


WINGHAM
Two capybaras sitting side by side,
Called Clive and Kathleen, read the Sunday sun
And watch the humdrum pond where they abide
In silence and so grandly live as one.
They know they’re not the glamour; most will pass
With just a look or two, the kangaroos
Are feisty, the baboon’s scratching his arse,
The capybaras quietly read the news.

They nod their heads and sigh, that slow Kent day,
They’ve seen it all before. And, if observed,
They pay no heed – no pose, no trick to play,
No master’s bidding they are seen to serve.
We watched them for a while, just you and I.
We loved them. Loved them. I remember why.


COPENHAGEN
The seats apart from mine are empty, free
Of fears and cold feet, on a cold spring day
In Copenhagen, inner Tivoli.
I fear my shoes will fall off, and I pray
My pockets empty as I’m shock shell shot
To way above the calm city below.
I’m breaking from the skyline, I’m a dot
Of desolation o’er the undertow.

Up here, it’s still midwinter, but I see
a sea, then Sweden, and the season sprung
In Stockholm, and I feel distinctly carefree
As breath lost slips back shyly to my lungs.
The thrill is in the safety, I suppose.
Although the ghost of danger haunts my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment