Thursday 26 July 2018

An ongoing series ... A vs B: Part 1 - A Design for Life Vs Common People


On my sport blog, I recently did a few “Who/what’s better – A or B” posts. It was fun – it’s obviously reductive and far more subjective when it comes to music than sport, but I thought it would be nice to do a series of these, not least because it starts as a way to write the following post in a simple way.

Oddly, I’ve been trying to write this post for about four years – it’s literally just a comparison of two pop songs, but each time I’ve tried I’ve found myself going down so many blind alleys, torturing myself with how to say a simple thing correctly.

So, the simple thing is, I prefer ‘A Design for Life’ by The Manic Street Preachers to ‘Common People’ by Pulp.

These are the two great class-based indie anthems of the mid-90s, one a Number 2 in spring 95, one a Number 2 in spring 96.

What I instinctively felt about ‘Common People’ I still feel now. It’s wrong. It doesn’t earn the right to be anthemic.



This is an oddly delicate point for me to make, which necessarily leads me to being open to accusations of entitlement and privilege. Weird, isn’t it?

Jarvis Cocker tells a story (of doubtful truth) of a certain kind of rich/posh person who wants to slum it for a while with the “common people” Of course, these people do exist, but, you know what, not that many of them.

Not enough for the song to then become a universal anthem, which people claimed told a timeless truth about the British class system. That, above all, was what bothered me. The song was catchy and witty sure, but it was disingenuous and over-inflated.

Here’s a caveat for my overthought views. I never felt I was a Pulp person. I saw Pulp people around, and they were skinnier than me, had better hair, and were the kind of people who sneered at you for liking sport, I thought. Pulp sang for the mis-shapes but I felt they had to be a certain shape of mis-shape.

Whereas the Manics … they did songs about communism, despair, death penalty, art movements, bulimia, sure…. but they also did songs about Matthew Maynard and Steve Ovett. They were beautifully different but also beautifully mundane. I had no problem being a Manics fan, because I didn’t feel the Manics had “typical” fans.

So I was never on board with Pulp.

The target of ‘Common People’ is, if you will, the “good posh”. Not the indifferent, heartless ones, but the ones who at least show a movement towards empathy and understanding the world. And the lyric to ‘Common People’ picks on the kind who play lip service but are really just engaging in class tourism.

But my genuine experience is that that’s a vastly overstated group. Actually overwhelmingly the good posh aren’t trying to fuck about and they end up living a life – early signs of empathy, even crassly expressed, are likely going to lead to a life with some element of value and of consideration.

These people are not the problem, not really. It’s the ones who have absolutely no fucking interest what the “common people” are doing who are the problem.

If ‘Common People’ had been a little story-song, I’d be fine with it, but I hate its expansion, its epic quality. It’s a con. It’s a clever trick by a clever writer.

I will say that a) Jarvis Cocker has written some beautiful poignant songs and b) he’s written one brilliant, simple, universal anthem, ‘Running the World’, which is every kind of unquestionable, fiery truth that ‘Common People’ is not.

As is ‘A Design for Life’, which I love more every year. I love its sound, I suppose I think if you’re going to go big, go all out. I love its proud, redemptive place in the lifeline of the band, I love its defiance, its positivity, its fury, its simplicity, I love its target – the universal subjugation of and careless condescension to the British working-class. It rings true. The Manics are a true British liberal’s ideal (probably something they’d despise) – the childhood oddball friends who went on to be the smartest, the most humane, the longest-lasting and the most popular.

They deserve every accolade. Sure, Jarvis Cocker and others write archer, wittier lyrics (which scan better sometimes …) but there’s a truth and beauty to this band which you rarely find. Certainly not in ‘Common People’.

Right, done. That’s the short, unwhiny version …

No comments:

Post a Comment