Tuesday 31 July 2018

A Vs B: Part 3 - Kanye West vs Jay-Z


These comparisons won’t always involve great expertise or indeed superfandom. Neither is hip-hop my natural milieu nor am I completely familiar with all of Kanye or Jay-Z’s back catalogue.
But I’ve listened to both quite a lot, and I like both quite a lot, and I think their friendship/rivalry is pretty interesting. I was also amused to discover that both share birthdays with close relatives of mine, so I looked up to see if I also shared a birthday with a titan of rap. I found Coolio. Oh well …

They are the only two rappers to have headlined Glastonbury, Jay-Z in 2008 and West in 2015. How the two sets went down is instructive. Probably there was more pressure on Jay-Z, being the first and with more consistent luddite outcry, but his set was a triumph. He got the crowd onboard with his covers (inc Wonderwall and Rehab) and converted many new fans. At that point (pre ‘Empire State of Mind’) he didn’t actually have that many massive UK hits (not including Crazy in Love and Umbrella, on which he was very much in a supporting role. )

Whereas people somewhat assumed Kanye West would be a triumph. 2015 was pretty much peak “Kanye is a genius” … not only was he an acclaimed artist, he also had an awful lot of well-known bangers he could call on. Yet his set was odd, and in the end, a disappointment. He read the crowd wrong, basically. It’s not that the songs weren’t good, he just didn’t really provide a great show, chose the wrong guest (Bon Iver, big in indie but not Glastonbury-headline exciting) and the wrong cover (Bohemian Rhapsody, dreadful). His judgement was poor. It was weird. He didn’t control the narrative.

A pretty simplistic comparison is that Jay-Z is like the hip-hop Rolling Stones and Kanye West thinks he’s the hip-hop Beatles, but he’s more like …hmm … I don’t think ELO is quite right, maybe … Queen – maybe he thinks that himself actually, maybe that’s what Bohemian Rhapsody was all about (though of course Queen famously seized their big gig). He is capable of brilliance, but there is so much excess, all his albums have induced boredom and the skip button in me at some point.

Whereas I’d say Jay-Z is generally compelling, concise, funny, clear-headed. When I listen to Kanye West there are a lot of attention-seeking phrases which turn out to be not much more than self-serving wordplay gibberish. I think the thread, the point of Jay-Z songs is nearly always clear.

You know, these kind of things by and large come down to “whose voice do you prefer”, “whose rhymes do you prefer”, “who’s done more great songs” but I do think, with major hip-hop artists more than in other genres, staying congruent and steering clear of being ludicrous is pretty important. Kanye West has seriously damaged the acclaim in which he might be held, and I think that infects his music.

What else? Kanye West’s music is exhausting. Even his best albums are exhausting. At his best, there’s a punkish, claustrophobic questioning brilliance to what he does with both music and words, but you can never just settle into it. And too often, when it challenges you, you don’t end up going “god, that’s something I hadn’t considered before” but “you know, that’s just silly”.

At his worst, Jay Z is still pretty decent, whereas Kanye West, at his worst, is dreadful. Honestly, I think I started out thinking it was quite close between them, but the more I listen to them, it’s really not close.

No comments:

Post a Comment