Thursday 26 July 2018

A vs B: Part 2 - Blue vs Court and Spark

And for my next trick …

Sometimes, I’ll pit two entities against each other which both have strong arguments and weigh those up, but here, you know, this isn’t terribly close, and isn’t generally thought to be.

There’s nothing controversial or interesting about saying I like Joni Mitchell’s ‘Blue’ better than her ‘Court and Spark’. ‘Blue’ is pretty universally agreed to be Mitchell’s masterpiece. It’s either, at any given time, my favourite, second favourite or third album in the world.



Firstly, I should say I have a pretty weird internal thing going on where comparing Joni Mitchell to Bob Dylan has been, over the last few years, my personal testing ground for whether I’m utterly in thrall to the patriarchal received truth of things.

Quite a lot of intelligent voices (not just David Crosby) have said in recent times that Mitchell should not just be seen as the great female songwriter but the great songwriter full stop, whose musicality and originality place her above Dylan. A little challenged by this, I have tried to give the same amount of time and effort to listening to and reading about Joni as I used to with Bob.

Well, I think, after all that, I’m still in thrall to the patriarchy, sadly, but I do think I should stop comparing Mitchell to Dylan and instead compare her to herself.

So … Bob Dylan was inspired by ‘Blue’ to write ‘Tangled Up in Blue’ whereas he fell asleep in a playback of ‘Court and Spark’ …. ha, no that’s all …



Firstly, it’s not entirely “apples and pears” to compare them. ‘Court and Spark’ was Mitchell’s most commercially successful album at the time and is still highly acclaimed, usually, I’d say the second of her albums in all-time lists.

‘Blue’ and ‘Court and Spark’ are 2 ½ years apart, but it sounds longer. ‘Court and Spark’ marks a “progression” – vocally, in arrangements, in maturity of the subject matter. But … it’s all a bit boring.
Compared to ‘Blue’, there’s so little jeopardy. Maybe it’s about the men (jeezus, no …). But the subjects of the ‘Blue’ heartache were songwriters like James Taylor, Graham Nash and Leonard Cohen. ‘Court and Spark’ is about Hollywood lotharios like Warren Beatty. Much duller.

And she is involved but also amused and distant. ‘Help Me’’s first lines are “Help me, I think I’m falling in love again”. Imagine those lines on ‘Blue’ the potential power and desperation they might possess.

Whereas here, they’re just a gentle sigh. Silly me, she says. She doesn’t actually need any help.
Don’t get me wrong, ‘Help Me’ is a great song, one of the best on the album. It’s her most successful pop song, and it’s a great tune.

In fact, the album starts brilliantly. I love the title track – it hints and intrigues, it takes its time and solves the mystery of the album’s slightly odd title.

After those two, it’s ‘Free Man in Paris’ – again, considered something of a classic – and sure, it’s a good song, but, you know, I always feel the chorus doesn’t scan that well, does it … “I felt unfettered and alive … “ “stoking the starmaker machinery behind the popular song …”. It’s all a bit Manics-y, no? And, you know, who cares that much how tough things are for billionaire music executives?

Still, strong start … but then … honestly, the album gradually loses me every time. It’s like ‘Swingers’ or something, just an indistinct blur of barely intriguing playboys and parties, of the geography of LA and somewhat involved observations.

‘Blue’ cuts with every word, every chord, yet is still fun, funny, cool. And of course, she shouldn’t have to play the victim every time, and being the amused observer-participant is great, but I think she’d go on to do it in a much more interesting, bold way elsewhere – on ‘The Hissing of Summer Lawns’ and particularly ‘Hejira’ which I think is streets ahead of ‘Court and Spark’.

An … ‘Raised on Robbery’ is pretty dreadful, and ‘Twisted’ is even worse.

Quite a common take is that Mitchell’s golden period from ‘Blue’ through to ‘Hejira’ is one of the greatest runs in the history of pop music, and I actually agree, but I think it’s first and last are its greatest, and its middle its weakest.

I would score them

Blue 10
For the Roses 8 ½
Court and Spark 7
The Hissing of Summer Lawns 8 ½
Hejira 9

So there …. This is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment