Thursday 27 July 2023

Birthday Number 1s: 2018 - In My Feelings

Oh great, another Drake song. 

I thought I'd made my feelings quite clear on this matter ...

this one's called

In My Feelings

It doesn't push my buttons quite as much as One Dance, but it won't be on any playlists I'll be making soon.

I think Drake is probably my least favourite artist in the history of music. Perhaps that is because he's not Nick Drake. Early on in Drake's career, when he was touted as a sensitive, reflected rapper, there was a clever little quiz on Buzzfeed called 'Drake, Nick Drake or Blake?' which had a line of lyrics and you had to decide which of them it was, which would have worked very well as Nick Drake was very influenced by William Blake, and solipsism's just solipsism, and it's not like Nick Drake was a particularly clever, artful lyricist, but it didn't work well, because the ones that were Drake were just nothing really.

This year, Drake's released a poetry book called 'Titles Ruin Everything' which has been savaged, and appears to be absolutely nothing. I like that, even after he had become a massive global superstar of catchy hits and no one remembered that his original USP was self-aware, sensitive lyrics, he still thought it would be a good idea to release a poetry collection.

My first big "what is this shit" moment with Drake was when Hold On We're Going Home was Pitchfork's 2011 Song of the Year. That was his breakout, proper-song, ballad. It's dreadful and creepy.

Then, around 2016 or 17, on the back of really liking Lemonade, To Pimp a Butterfly, Vince Staples, Yeezus, stuff like that, I kind of thought my taste in music had changed and I would listen to successful hip-hop and r'n'b albums all the way through, and I listened to a couple of Drake albums a couple of times, and it was one of the least enjoyable experiences of my life. How I suffer for their art!

Anyway, Drake had three Number 1s in 2018, so it was always quite likely it would be him again. I'm slightly disappointed to miss out by only a week on writing about Three Lions, on one of its regular returns to the front of the national consciousness. There's lots to be said about Three Lions, but actually I wrote a lot about it before. 2018 was a big heatwave summer, the biggest I remember before 2022. Unsettling. I remember going into London when it was 33ish for a birthday party on the South Bank, and it was the day England had beaten Sweden in the World Cup quarter-final, and also the day of Pride, and the city was heady with interlocking tribes, and you could almost think that (a day once dawned and) it was beautiful.

People really liked this Drake song, anyway, It inspired internet memes. I still don't really understand, but I accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment