Thursday 20 July 2023

Birthday Number 1s: 2014 - Me and My Broken Heart

We may have reached the point where I've got nothing to say.

Me and My Broken Heart - Rixton

But I'll try.

One thing I should say is that, some years, I get to know the hit songs pretty well because of work - because every couple of years, I make new clips of modern songs to use in music rounds, so there are some years I really dig into, some I don't. I think I made clips of about half the Number 1s in 2014, so I know the songs pretty well. But I didn't make a clip of Me and My Broken Heart.

2014 starts with Happy and ends with Uptown Funk. Nothing else in between is as massive. Certainly not Me and My Broken Heart, though it did all right in a few places.

It was co-written, once again, by Wayne Hector and Steve Mac, who also did Beat Again and Glad You Came. It borrows a bit from a song by Rob Thomas called Lonely No More which you've probably heard in the background somewhere.

All of these songs are well enough done, and you could listen to them four times, but probably not seven times.

Rixton is a terrible band name. One of the worst I've ever heard. Like, what even is it? Clearly, the remaining members of Rixton agree, as they're now called Push Baby (which is not much better). One of those, the lead singer, is Jake Roche, who is the son of Shane Richie and Colleen Nolan. I once worked with Shane Richie on a quiz show. He was nice. He was as you'd expect. I don't have fond memories of that show, as I might get to in a couple of years, but Shane Richie was nice.

The week before Me and My Broken Heart the Number 1 was It's My Birthday by will.i.am ft Cody Wise which would, i suppose, have been apposite. The week after it was Number 1 was the day we got married. Little old DMcG, gettin married, who'd a thunk it? I was mainly listening to Steady Pace by Matthew E White and Lean on Me by Bill Withers that week (actual wedding day, not wedding party day, which was at the end of August).

Anyway, fun times. 36. I think we went and did pitch and putt on my birthday.

Other Number 1s - Rather Be. Money on My Mind,  Hideaway, Sing, Ghost by Ella Henderson, which is a banger, All About That Bass, Thinking Out Loud, and, interestingly, Band Aid 30, which was when everyone decided, all of a sudden, that Band Aid was beyond the pale bullshit. Funny old world.

.... ah crap, of all the songs, both, i guess, because i've listened to it a few times because i hardly knew it, and also because it is, after all, quite catchy, this little bastard has burrowed into my brain and i can't get it out. I need another irritant.

No comments:

Post a Comment