Saturday 25 September 2021

B86: 500 Other Songs

Needless to say, returning to Rolling Stone's list of the Greatest 500 Songs of All Time, I responded my making my own list of 500 Songs.

I don't have an enormous problem with the Rolling Stone list - solid methodology, asking lots of people, understanding of its own place in the world, and, in Respect, they happened, by accident or design, to come up with quite an interesting, timely, Number 1.

Still, it's, in terms of my personal taste, a really boring list. Most of the songs are just "there", they're not deep cuts or left turns. I wouldn't choose to listen to all that many of them. Some of this is explained by the fact that the voters are probably well versed in this kind of exercise and voted tactically - so What's Going On is Number 6, but Inner City Blues and Mercy Mercy Me are nowhere to be seen. Fine.

So, yeah, I've made my own list. It's just a list, it took about an hour, not several days. It's not really an attempt to say "500 Greatest Other Songs" or anything, it's just 500 other songs that aren't on the Rolling Stone list.

It's a combination of songs which I was probably a bit surprised weren't in the 500, like they were the right kind of thing, but maybe they were in the Top 700,  a significantly greater emphasis on British music, other songs by major artists which are better than the obvious ones which are on the list, there are genuine great indie songs which really ought to be there, and there are some songs which are just songs I thought would make the playlist more fun.

There's no order, just 500 songs.

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/500-songs/pl.u-e90k9IpkGAY

No comments:

Post a Comment