Wednesday 14 October 2020

Brief 39 - Interim Pop

 This is a playlist of the stuff I thought I was trying to avoid.

It's the pop charts, 1998 to 2006. These were my CD-buying years - voraciously chasing the heritage of rockular music, as well as buying everything vaguely indie that half-interested me - 1000+ CD albums I bought in those years, hardly any featured here.

This is the pop stuff, the stuff I was mainly turning up my nose at. Yet, of course, I still heard it. I still watched 'Top of the Pops' and 'The Chart Show' then 'CDUK', listened to Radio 1 sometimes, watched 'Popstars' and 'The X Factor' etc.

These are, mostly, the songs which I liked begrudgingly, or thought at the time I didn't like but it turns out I did.

It was still pretty much acceptable to be snobby about pop music in 1998 - I genuinely did think that what I was in to was "better". That changed over the course of this playlist - pop started to win critical acclaim, to be enjoyed and judged on its own merits.

I've finished at 2006, not just because that's when I started downloading music, so everything opened up choicewise, but because, by then, most of barriers were down. I didn't like something like 'Biology' begrudgingly, I loved it and knew it was good. I've chosen 'Patience' by Take That as the last song, just because I hated Take That in their first incarnation, and yet when they came back a decade later, with a solidly pleasing middle-aged pop ballad, I lapped it up.

So, this is that stuff. Of course, I wasn't a complete closed book at the time - some of it, like 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' and 'Get Your Freak On' was recognisably great, even to me.

And, of course, I wasn't entirely wrong. A lot of the stuff of that era was bobbins. Still, here are my favourites, my pleasant memories, of the interim pop.

[usually only one track per artist, though sometimes have allowed an artist twice in different guises].

INTERIM POP - PLAYLIST 98-06

  1. Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
  2. Family Affair - Mary J Blige
  3. Complicated - Avril Lavigne
  4. All The Things She Said - Tatu
  5. Move Your Feet - Junior Senior
  6. 1 Thing - Amerie
  7. Biology - Girls Aloud
  8. Irreplaceable - Beyonce
  9. We Are Your Friends - Justice vs Simian
  10. Toxic - Britney Spears
  11. Shackles - Mary Mary
  12. Getting' Jiggy With It - Will Smith
  13. Chewing Gum - Annie
  14. Show Me Love - Robyn
  15. I Try - Macy Gray
  16. My Love is Your Love - Whitney Houston
  17. Milkshake - Kelis
  18. It Feels So Good - Sonique
  19. Try Again - Aaliyah
  20. Genie in a Bottle - Christina Aguilera
  21. See it in a Boy's Eyes - Jamelia
  22. Leave Right Now - Will Young
  23. I'm Like a Bird - Nelly Furtado
  24. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott
  25. Who's That Girl - Eve
  26. Fallin'  - Alicia Keys
  27. Lose Yourself - Eminem
  28. Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake
  29. If There's Any Justice - Lemar
  30. Some Girls - Rachel Stevens
  31. Obviously - McFly
  32. Shiver - Natalie Imbruglia
  33. Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
  34. No Worries - Simon Webbe
  35. Hung Up - Madonna
  36. Pure Shores - All Saints
  37. Independent Women Pt 1 - Destiny's Child
  38. 911 - Wyclef Jean
  39. What Took You So Long - Emma Bunton
  40. Honey to the Bee - Billie
  41. Keep on Movin' - 5ive
  42. Most Girls - Pink
  43. In Demand - Texas
  44. Ms Jackson - OutKast
  45. Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) - Spiller ft Sophie Ellis Bextor
  46. It Wasn't Me - Shaggy ft RikRok
  47. Chase the Sun - Planet Funk
  48. Lovin' Each Day - Ronan Keating
  49. Flyby - Blue
  50. Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
  51. If You're Not the One - Daniel Bedingfield
  52. It's OK - Atomic Kitten
  53. Dy-Na-Mi-Tee - Ms Dynamite
  54. Dilemma - Nelly ft Kelly Rowland
  55. Breathe - Blu Cantrell ft Sean Paul
  56. Come As You Are - Beverley Knight
  57. Pon de Replay - Rihanna
  58. Push the Button - Sugababes
  59. End of the Line - The Honeyz
  60. Patience - Take That


2 comments:

  1. Are there A LOT more women than men on this list (compared to, if I may say, many of the lists on this blog) because a) women of the period were more likely to get pop records made than indie records, or b) of the pop made in the period, the better songs are mostly by women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both those things may be true.
      The rock hierarchy through which i first loved music was very male. You don't stop loving those things just because there's been a reordering of the pantheon. So that reflects in a lot of my more traditional lists.
      Yet my tastes, in terms of more modern music, have changed along various lines. I think most of the music i love these days is by women, and a big part of that starts with turn of the century pop/r'n'b, so stuff like Lauryn Hill/Robyn/Beyonce is just 100% the kind of music i like now, so it's easy and obvious to include them.
      I actually intended this list to be sillier, more grudging, to have more stuff by eg Blue and 5ive, but when it came to it, there were just lots of unavoidably great, great songs by female artists which fall completely into what my taste has become

      Delete