Wednesday 19 June 2019

City Sonnets - 89 and 90

Here are two more -- it might look like these two places are near each other, but it's not actually that Worthing, but anyway ...
the one below took about six minutes to write, which shows.


WORTHING
I only know beauty in memory.
My present reveres just the numbers, names
And flaws of every masterpiece I see
Until my language takes over and frames
dull instincts tastefully. As much it can.
That’s a big mountain. Oh, look, a Van Gogh.
And later, patching on great God’s wide span,
I’ll drain the most prosaic sediment off.

In paradise I hung on payphone lines
For times and totals, faraway spitting shows.
The sand was white, the sea was blue like wine
I guess – for beauty only beauty knows.
I do my best. But prose and figures win.
I count the lines and watch the square world spin.

PORTCHESTER
If records for such happenings were well kept
The Portsmouth food fight of 2001
Would, as all players present now accept,
Go down in written history as most fun.
It started, as so often, with a sponge
Down neck, well met with shock and vengeance vowed,
Then burst out with a bowl of cream, a lunge
Of wasteful mania carried loud and proud.

Some fled, their stomachs full, but short on nerve,
They hid behind what barriers they could find,
But soon the action spread, and they’d be served
With dishes not prepared to be declined.
The battlefield – a picture of decay
Where vivers turned to violence turned to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment