Sunday 14 April 2019

City Sonnets - 31 and 32

Two more:


HARLECH
Best place I’ve ever been is Harlech sands
The year before the girl was born, as sun
Burst through what we were led to understand
Had been a summer thereto underdone.
We seized the castle first, ransacked each tower,
 descended the world’s steepest road then crossed
the golf course fearlessly, where others cower
we braved the endless dunes … was our cause lost?

Eventually, we topped the final peak
and turned to see Snowdonia’s looming grace,
we turned again, had no words left to speak
confronted with the beauty of that place.
Best sight I’d ever seen was Harlech’s bay
Until that girl, the next year, came to stay.



NOORDWIJK
Of course, I hadn’t an adapter for
my laptop, which was quickly charging down
as I looked on the grimly gripping shore
of wild autumnal winds in this Dutch town
Where I forgot my shoes and listened to
Joanna Newsom’s brand new album Ys,
For want of something else to hear and do
For hours themselves reluctantly released.

I find some shoes which barely fit within
The quiet and quizless streets. And time finds speed
Towards the night, the murmured nerves begin
To churn, with just one lonely room to read.
The meteorite, the source of light, tonight -
I’m lost in space and can’t quite say it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment