Wednesday 20 March 2019

City Sonnets - 5 and 6

I just changed the blog to this font. I like it. It's a much better font.

Here are two more sonnets ... there's going to be flippin' loads of them ... when i get an idea, I run it to exhaustion


RIO DE JANEIRO
A photo cheaply printed on a plate
On Corcovado of a squinting boy
In baseball cap and shorts, stood stiffly straight,
His hands held down in front, a gesture coy
And quite mysterious to the man himself
Many years later, dusting souvenirs
And rearranging memories on the shelf
Of unconsidered moments through the years.

And then he gets it! Those unbending arms
Which point to hell with such a narrowing
Raw sense of shame are cowed by the wide stance
Of the Redeemer overshadowing.
No mimicry, no imagery allowed –
The boy observant, arms cast down, head bowed.

ST ANDREWS
That day you drove me in, the town was lapped
In the late summer light, and I was hooked
In love with it for good. Those four years trapped
By old stone on the ledge of the East Neuk
Awash with Pringle, Callaway and beer,
I was abuzz with rainless blasts of wind
Imbued with ancient messages of fear
For callow youths who wouldn’t know they’d sinned.

That day, as planes of Leuchars roared above,
you told of childhood Elie holidays,
the sea, the castle, Old Course all at once
ransacked my breath and ever held my gaze.
Years later, from Rule’s Tower, I looked back the way
And saw us, happy-sad, that late September day.

No comments:

Post a Comment