Sunday 22 November 2015

My Favourite 101 Songs

I do all these lists, don't I, but it's been over five years since I actually told you what my favourite songs are. No arsing about with pretence to objectivity or strictures or structures.

Here they are. There is some small structure. I thought "Since I last made a list of My Favourite 100 Songs five years ago, what have been my favourite songs within that time?" So not just this second and not throughout my whole life either. I looked at what I'd listened to most, thought about what had consistently thrilled me in the various contexts I listen to music, and then knocked this together in no time at all.

If you follow the blog, there are few surprises. There's plenty that was here last time. It's depressingly lacking the kind of eclecticism I'd be compelled into if I was doing anything but expressing a preference for the very cream on the top of the 100s of 1000s of songs that have passed through my ears.
  1. In California - Joanna Newsom
  2. The Rat - The Walkmen
  3. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
  4. Going Underground - The Jam
  5. Ice Hockey Hair - Super Furry Animals
  6. Hey Lover - Dawes
  7. Isis (Live) - Bob Dylan
  8. Losing You - Randy Newman
  9. I See a Darkness - Bonnie Prince Billy
  10. My Girls - Animal Collective
  11. La Tristesse Durere - Manic Street Preacher
  12. Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
  13. The First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
  14. Emily - Joanna Newsom
  15. Bryte Side - The Pernice Brothers
  16. The Only Living Boy in New York - Simon and Garfunkel
  17. St Patrick - James Yorkston
  18. The Good Intentions Paving Company - Joanna Newsom
  19. Lean On Me - Bill Withers
  20. So Long Marianne - Leonard Cohen
  21. From the Morning - Nick Drake
  22. Slaveship - Josh Rouse
  23. My Wandering Days Are Over - Belle and Sebastian
  24. The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll - Bob Dylan
  25. Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
  26. Love Anyway - The Waterboys
  27. Between the Wars - Billy Bragg
  28. Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
  29. Hey Darling - Sleater Kinney
  30. Grace - Jeff Buckley
  31. Dry the Rain - Beta Band
  32. Angela Surf City - The Walkmen
  33. Northern Sky - Nick Drake
  34. People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  35. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
  36. We Can Work It Out - The Beatles
  37. Steady Pace - Matthew E White
  38. There She Goes, My Beautiful World - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  39. Heaven - The Walkmen
  40. Snow is Gone - Josh Ritter
  41. Rise - Josh Rouse
  42. The Trapeze Swinger - Iron and Wine
  43. Trellick Tower - Emmy the Great
  44. A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
  45. Mr November - The National
  46. Let's Make This Precious - Dexys Midnight Runners
  47. Mississippi - Bob Dylan
  48. Sons and Daughters - The Decemberists
  49. Make Your Own Kind of Music - Mama Cass
  50. The Mercy Seat - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  51. Idiot Wind - Bob Dylan
  52. Holes - Mercury Rev
  53. Fire in My Heart - Super Furry Animals
  54. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
  55. Olympian - Gene
  56. Floating in the Forth - Frightened Rabbit
  57. America - Simon and Garfunkel
  58. A Rainy Night in Soho - The Pogues
  59. 14th Street - Rufus Wainwright
  60. She's Your Lover Now - Bob Dylan
  61. Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground
  62. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens
  63. Massive Night - The Hold Steady
  64. This is a Low - Blur
  65. Funeral - Band of Horses
  66. The Weight - The Band
  67. When the Haar Rolls In - James Yorkston
  68. Don't You - Micah P Hinson
  69. American Trilogy - The Delgados
  70. Redemption Song - Bob Marley
  71. Family Affair - Mary J Blige
  72. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
  73. Jesus Etc - Wilco
  74. Chin High - Roots Manuva
  75. Wake Up - Arcade Fire
  76. $1000 Wedding - Gram Parsons 
  77. Carey - Joni Mitchell
  78. Sunshine on Leith - The Proclaimers
  79. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  80. Moon River - Audrey Hepburn
  81. Faster - Manic Street Preachers
  82. Severed Crossed Fingers - St Vincent
  83. Sweeping the Nation - Spearmint
  84. Round Eye Blues - Marah
  85. Sweet Thing - Van Morrison
  86. Jackie - Scott Walker
  87. My Baby Don't Understand Me - Natalie Prass
  88. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - The Supremes and the Temptations
  89. Misunderstood - Wilco
  90. Out on the Floor - Dobie Gray
  91. Dreamy Days - Roots Manuva
  92. Little Baby Nothing - Manic Street Preachers
  93. Dancing On My Own - Robyn
  94. Scottish Pop - Spearmint
  95. How - Regina Spektor
  96. Rise to Me - The Decemberists
  97. Galveston - Glen Campbell
  98. Oxygen - Willy Mason
  99. Be Not So Fearful - Bill Fay
  100. Instant Karma - John Lennon
  101. Gimme Some Lovin'   -  The Spencer Davis Group





No comments:

Post a Comment