Tuesday 1 August 2023

Birthday Number 1s: 2020 - Head & Heart

In the peculiar summer of 2020, it's

Head & Heart - Joel Corry ft MNEK

which is one of the songs you may have heard everywhere over the last few years. It's very catchy. It's distinguished a little by MNEK having a pretty nice voice. It's the kind of things which I glibly and ignorantly bracket off with "i'm sure they like it in the clubs" or whatever, though I suppose when this song became a hit, not many of the clubs were open.

I mean, I don't remember too much. What stage were we at? Summer of 2020 - i suppose things were open a little bit - Eat Out to Help Out and all that.

This song doesn't speak to the time, as far as I can see, but why should it? It's just an archetypal piece of modern pop music. There were some weird hits around that time - Id absolutely love to write about Captain Tom, believe me - but this isn't one of them.

That summer they postponed the Euros and postponed the Olympics. They'd postponed the filming of Only Connect too but we went up in August to film it. I remember emerging from hibernation, seeing everyone, having really not seen many people for months. It was quite emotional, but pretty strange. 

We really were so careful back then ... masks, hand gels, temperature checks, designated zones, only walking in one direction. All meals in hotel rooms. You can tell yourself it it feels a bit silly now, but it wasn't really.

The biggest song of the year was Blinding Lights by The Weeknd, which feels like pretty much the biggest, most universal song of the last few years. I'm only a couple of weeks away from writing about WAP, which I don't think I could have done justice to.

There were some great albums that year - Fiona Apple, Bobby Dylan, who caused a bit of a stir with Rough and Rowdy Ways, and my two favourites, Song for Our Daughter by Laura Marling and Saint Cloud by Waxahatchee, which I've listened to about 100 times.

2021 will be another strange year, but maybe not quite as strange.


No comments:

Post a Comment