Wednesday 1 December 2021

B88: Tucson is in Arizona

I've watched all of Get Back now. It's been quite an overwhelming experience, & I can only say it's one of the best things I've ever seen. There isn't room for much more critical analysis than that. I was taken aback by some of my emotional responses. The Beatles are not, after all, the band of my generation, though my generation is, perhaps, by virtue of Anthology, Free as a Bird, Britpop etc, the last to wholeheartedly embrace them en masse. I don't know if that's true, but it doesn't feel like the Beatles have been anywhere near as connected to this decade as to the 90s and turn of the century - till now. [I mean, it's still the Beatles, it's not like the Beatles industry has gone quiet, but maybe you know what I mean ...]

Anyway, I'm already blathering more than I intended. I'm here to make a list, primarily. I'll, for once, let other people make the points. Just two things:

1) holy shit, McCartney and Lennon could sing. I guess we've seen McCartney very impressively still able to sing all his songs deep into his late 70s and got used to it being a slight struggle, but, back then, it was no struggle. His voice was immense and limitless. Likewise Lennon - even though he's messing about so often, disinterested sometimes, when he goes for it, it's magnificent. Obviously, George is a fine singer too. I think the fact that the Beatles were incredible singers is something I've slightly taken for granted.

2) Yeah, the songs. Their last couple of years is not my favourite Beatles period, but they're all concocting songs which are standards 50 years later. Even Ringo. Sometimes, I wonder, are these songs particularly memorable because they're the Beatles and they've just had more chance to be memorable than other people's songs? And I suppose there is that, but hearing John tinkering away at "On the Road to Marrakesh" which will later become 'Jealous Guy', I'm reminded that I didn't realise 'Jealous Guy' and 'Instant Karma' were by John Lennon until I was about 19. I'd heard them on the radio growing up and just thought "wow, those are powerful". I mean, those guys just wrote and sang powerful songs powerfully. And it's Lennon that's the one that's visibly struggling for inspiration, yet he's still got 'Don't Let Me Down', 'Across the Universe', with 'Come Together' and 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' on the way, not to mention 'God', Instant Karma', 'Working Class Hero' and 'Imagine'.

So I'm just going to make a big old Beatles song list, and I'll stop when I run out of songs I love. I'll include solo work, though I am not an aficianado beyond pretty basic hits and classics when it comes to solo material.

The numbering's all over the place really, and I've missed plenty. I'm actually not that great on the earliest albums ... We Can Work It Out being my favourite is a real point of principle for me.

  1. We Can Work It Out
  2. Penny Lane
  3. Instant Karma
  4. And Your Bird Can Sing
  5. For No One
  6. Happiness is a Warm Gun
  7. In My Life
  8. Revolution
  9. A Day in the Life
  10. All Things Must Pass
  11. Here There and Everywhere
  12. Live and Let Die
  13. Yesterday
  14. Got to Get You Into My Life
  15. Ticket to Ride
  16. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
  17. Jealous Guy
  18. Come and Get It
  19. Drive My Car
  20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  21. Strawberry Fields Forever
  22. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  23. Watching the Wheels
  24. I Am the Walrus
  25. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
  26. Band on the Run
  27. She's Leaving Home
  28. Oh Darling
  29. The Long and Winding Road
  30. God
  31. Helter Skelter
  32. I Feel Fine
  33. Girl
  34. Across the Universe
  35. Let it Be
  36. I Want to Hold Your Hand
  37. Get Back
  38. My Brave Face
  39. Eleanor Rigby
  40. Please Please Me
  41. Something
  42. Why Don't We Do it in the Road
  43. Woman
  44. When I'm 64
  45. Sexy Sadie
  46. Tomorrow Never Knows
  47. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
  48. The Ballad of John and Yoko
  49. Hey Jude
  50. Two of Us
  51. Magical Mystery Tour
  52. Hey Bulldog!
  53. I've Got a Feeling
  54. Come Together
  55. Yellow Submarine
  56. Here Comes the Sun
  57. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
  58. And I Love her
  59. Blackbird
  60. She Loves You
  61. A Hard Day's Night
  62. She Said She Said
  63. Michelle
  64. Maybe I'm Amazed
  65. The Fool on the Hill
  66. Good Day Sunshine
  67. From Me To You
  68. I'm Looking Through You
  69. Free as a Bird
  70. Imagine
  71. Baby You're a Rich Man
  72. Nowhere Man
  73. Bungalow Bill
  74. Paperback Writer
  75. Martha My Dear
  76. Pipes of Peace
  77. Nobody Told Me
  78. Hello Goodbye
  79. My Sweet Lord
  80. Golden Slumbers
  81. Carry that Weight
  82. Don't Let Me Down
  83. Everybody' Got Something to Hide Except Me and y Monkey
  84. Help!
  85. Norwegian Wood
  86. You Never Give Me Your Money
  87. Coming Up
  88. What is Love
  89. Old Brown Shoe
  90. Polythene Pam
  91. Within You Without You
  92. Day Tripper
  93. With a Little Help from My Friends
  94. Mull of Kintyre
  95. All My Loving
  96. Isn't it a Pity
  97. Octopus's Garden
  98. All You Need Is Love
  99. Lady Madonna
  100. Jet
  101. Taxman
  102. Gimme Some Truth
  103. We All Stand Together
  104. Can't Buy Me Love
  105. Love You To
  106. Ob La Di Ob La Da
  107. Ebony and Ivory
  108. Dance Tonight
  109. Give Peace a Chance
  110. Dear Prudence
  111. Happy Xmas
  112. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite
  113. If I Fell
  114. Dig a Pony
  115. Rocky Raccoon
  116. Mother Nature's Son
  117. If I Needed Someone
  118. Fixing a Hole
  119. Rain
  120. Julia
  121. Eight Days a Week
  122. The End
  123. I'm So Tired
  124. I Want to Tell You
  125. Real Love
  126. Because
  127. Getting Better
  128. Here Today
  129. Let Me Roll It
  130. Wah-Wah
  131. I'm Down
  132. The Word
  133. Lovely Rita
  134. Jenny Wren
  135. I'd Have you Anytime
  136. Birthday
  137. Photograph
  138. Misery
  139. Just Like Starting Over
  140. Love Me Do


No comments:

Post a Comment