Tuesday 12 May 2020

I 'n' Gigs 5: Blur (London, 2009)

I was meant to be going to see Nick Cave and his merry bunch of Bad Seeds this week. Since I'm not, and gigs are something which I'm sure a lot of people are missing, I thought I'd write a little about 10 gigs I went to. Not my favourites per se, just memorable ones from down the years.

These are not reviews. I wouldn't do that very well. They're just memories. I have called the segment "I 'n' Gigs"  (a pointless pun on the name Ryan Giggs)... that is a good indicator of the quality writing to come ...

This is, when all the votes are counted, the best of them.

Blur in Hyde Park in July 2009.

This was the first show they announced after a 5 year absence. I snapped up four tickets. They’d go on to announce another Hyde Park show the day before and, of course, headline Glastonbury the week before. I tried to avoid seeing the Glastonbury show on TV or hearing clips of it, not wanting to spoil the impact.

Everything about the day. It was one of the great London days. Sizzling, before sizzling gave us the shivers. I went with Mikey, Alexander and John. I remember Mikey had broken his arm the month before, so one of our duties was to protect anyone from bumping into his sling. John came down from Edinburgh. He’d been down 8 months before, having bought me tickets to see Paul Weller for my birthday, but then the weekend before that was meant to happen, in November 2008, I’d broken my leg. Accident-prone times.

This was a better replacement for Weller. It was an event. Blur were the band of my generation, I think. More than Oasis, because I tend to think Oasis transcended generations a bit more, and they feel like a damaged and woolly entity now. Blur were more precise, so could never be quite so massive, yet they really were as massive as they could be for a while, and being there, a decade and a half later, with 60,000 others that day felt like a generational happening.

We four were all 30 – younger than we thought. It felt, at the time, like going back to youth – now, of course, it feels like we were still, just about, in that youth. None of us were married yet or had children – the other three would all be married within a year, for me it would be 5 years later.
Everything about the day. We approached from Green Park, walked up through Mayfair and had a lunchtime pint in a pub. So I’d already had my two DVTs and my leg break – I think this will have been one of the first days after being put on blood thinners for good that I fully relaxed, went against medical advice, and thought fuck it with the alcohol, thinking life’s too long not to (for better or worse).

I’d missed seeing Blur in their first prime, even though they were the gateway for me, the first music of my own generation that I loved (it was, of all things, ‘End of a Century’ on ‘Top of the Pops’) – there were a couple of times I should have gone, but between 94 and 99 I just wasn’t a gig goer, and, then suddenly, stupidly, it felt like the chance to see them had gone.

So, this was the next century, and, thankfully, the universal was … not free but a very reasonable £45 for the day. These days, something like that would be upward of £70. The support line-up … Deerhoof (who we didn’t pay much attention to), Florence and the Machine, Amadou and Mariam, Vampire Weekend … pretty fucking good really.

We were well-positioned. Of course, then the worry is timing, food, drink, toilet breaks, losing your position. Other friends were nearby, within about 50 metres, I think, but we never found each other, too densely packed and losing signal.

But I think we all got it right. I don’t remember missing anything. Florence and the Machine and Vampire Weekend became headliners in their own right not long afterwards, but that day, they were a glorious warm-up pleasure.



I’ve been looking at pictures of the day. We look happy. And thin, and young. There were a lot of Fred Perrys about, including on stage. We sang along to almost everything. It seemed like everybody did. I think Blur’s songs are exceptionally good for singing along to. Maybe ‘cos Albarn is a good not great singer and when he writes some of those soaring notes, he’s testing himself and you feel like you in the crowd are testing yourself along with him.

“And it LOOOKS like we might have made it …”

“This is a LOOOOOW”

“When the DAYS JUST SEEM TO FALL THROUGH YOU”

“And I don’t know bout YOOOO”

And, of course …

“Oh my baby, oh my baby”

which was as cheesy and wonderful as everyone said ...



I remember that day seeing lots of people I vaguely recognised, or fully recognised. It did feel like a massive gathering of friends, which is so rare. I mean, for me, it’s pretty unprecedented.

It was a hits set. Nothing to promote. Mikey and I went to see them in Hyde Park again in 2015 and they were brilliant again. I love ‘The Magic Whip’, I think it’s one of their 4 best albums, but as they played about half of it, sometimes the mood dropped a little, just a little. Also, in 2009, I feel like a band at Hyde Park could still get away with a massive sound. By 2015, if you were well positioned, it was fine, but the ground didn’t shake.

Blur are such a proper band, aren’t they? Four such entities, for good or bad. Each one irreplaceable. I tend to think the fact Albarn was able to diversify so successfully has meant Blur have, very unusually, never got too small or too big ... they haven't dwindled to a decent but smaller version of themselves, not have they kept on chasing big success and become flabby.



Funny, I’m not sure, now, I’d place them in my 10 favourite bands, I’m not sure they’d quite make it in terms of what I fall back on listening to, but the love they inspired in the 90s and on that day had a hugeness I think I’ve only been part of the once.

Here’s a lovely postscript I’ve just remembered. Me, Juliette and Rosa were at Leeds Castle last year and we got talking to a mother and her little boy, who was about R’s age. And he was talking about something he liked … I can’t remember exactly what it was, trains, I think, and he said “they give me a sense of parklife” and we did a double-take and the mother said they were massive Blur fans and played it to him all the time and he loved it.

How about that … good days that give me a sense of parklife.

No comments:

Post a Comment