Thursday 14 February 2019

Comic Timing

Here's something called Comic Timing


COMIC TIMING
I learnt the trade between the waves of rage
Which came and went across decades; they forced
and shaped and drove the laughs in deep.
I had the knack, so tracked the tricks of hacks
And clowns, of Connolly clones, each Smith, each Jones.
I worked so hard and made my mark on boards
In towns the edgy legends feared to tread.

I told good jokes. I told them well. The laugh
Was all, for what it’s worth; it’s worth it all.
I made good friends, we shared and praised, and saved
Our scorn for those that sneered but never tried
What we spent years perfecting to the point
It only went awry, on average, two
Or three times out of ten. And then? Fuck them!

I had no badge, and no one asked my view
On Blair and Hague beyond the aptly vague
But crisply uttered gags I planned and pinned.
Some TV - five “live” minutes from the Ap-
ollo, or best, some neutered panel show.
I had my niche, “it’s stag do chic”, I read
Some broadsheet once declaim, but not with rage.

The country changed, of course, you know. And so
New waves drew lines not heeded until then
(as is the way, new lines much like old lines),
The laugh itself was not enough for some,
though most, from Leicester Square via Sevenoaks
to all the different Stokes, were the same folks
as ever; comedy was their escape

Though slightly shocked by jokes on rape and race,
they, if the pause was placed just so, would know
no ill intent was meant, and let go their reserve.
And yet, from Edinburgh, the message came
That politics was once again to be
Intrinsic to this age of comedy –
Now, which side of the laugh lines was I on?

I tried a while to fit the mould - I had
a nice skit on Farage, though gallingly
I was once told by some tattooed old boy
From Fleet that it was time someone stood up
For Nige, not like those so-called comics. Ah,
In truth, my shame was just the gag mistook.
I was indifferent to the slight itself.

There were, at once, so many young firebrands
Whose currency in comedy was some
New righteous fury, that there really was
No space for me outside the smaller halls
I thought I was a long way past; my heart
Was not in rehashing Ben Elton gags
To shrugging men of Kent and Kentish men.

I knew what worked still worked. I knew my crowd
Who’d roared out loud for years without being told
They had no right. I’ll give them niche, I’ll serve
The hidden heart of England, drawing up
A new receipt of tailored targets, from
The liberal elite to … well, I’m no
Jim Davidson but this man’s got to eat.

And now I’m filling theatres and I’ve half
A million twitter followers. I’m “the real
Guerrilla comic” says some hitherto
Disdained Spectator columnist, who wouldn’t
Know comedy from cruelty.  I tell jokes
Which people like, I tell him guilessly.
The headline! He says. If you like, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment