Tuesday 10 August 2010

100. 13 List Songs

Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem
12 Reasons Why I Love Her - My Life Story
I Wanna Go To Marz - John Grant
They Can't Take That Out Away From Me - Frank Sinatra
My Favourite Things - Julie Andrews
Faster - Manic Street Preachers
You Get What You Give - The New Radicals
Thou Shalt Not Kill - Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
Destroy Rock'n'Roll - Mylo
America, Fuck Yeah - Trey Parker and Matt Stone
Scottish Pop - Spearmint
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
How To Fight Loneliness - Wilco

Ha! I've done 13, just to show I'm not regimented, I'm not tied to a number, not 10, not 100, not 101. Well, I am tied to 101, actually - this is without doubt the penultimate post of this blog, and in a way the last true one, as you shall see. Freedom awaits!
This list here is here to show that lists are cool, lists are art, these are cool songs, sometimes beautiful songs, and they're lists, so if people think lists are for losers, they are wrong wrong wrong. They're not all entirely lists, but they all are strongly list-based, and I feel their emotional heart lies in the list. What Manic Street Preachers lyric is better known than "I am stronger than Mensa, Mailer and Miller, I spat out Plath and Pinter."? "We don't talk about love, we only want to get drunk" - Yes, that one's better known, and about twenty others, but you get the point.
The most joyful list here is in Scottish Pop by Spearmint - they a band who rather mastered the list song - if i'd been short of numbers I could have included another couple by them - they are a very geeky band.
I'll say more when I get to the last post about lists and this whole big list, but here is a list, as inspired by something said by TV's MB one cruel day:

Number of hats owned - 16
Number of GCSEs - 10
Number of grams of chocolate eaten this week - 720
Number of wickets taken for School 1st XI 1995 season - 30
Number of Films in Empire's Greatest 500 Films of All Time list seen - 301
Number of Status Updates per month - 14
Number of poems catalogued in old notebooks - 2668
Number of birthdays passed - 32
Number of Songs on my iPod - 21568
Number of quizzes run - 308
Number of Facebook Friends I like to think suggests someone is trying too hard -300
Number of Facebook Friends - 139
Number of Facebook Friends whose activities and thoughts on the world I'm the slightest bit interested in - 12
Number of Lists made in the last 10 months of the 10 Best Footballers of the Last 10 years - 10
Number of milligrams of Warfarin taken per week - 58
Number of haircuts paid for in the last seven years - 0
Number of miles training completed for Marathon Number 2 - 828 (an arbitrary number)
Number of minutes satisfaction gained from completing Marathon Number 2 - 0
Number of Big Lebowski t-shirts owned - 6
Number of people who could give a flying fuck - ...

1 comment:

  1. Now that is a poem for the ages. Saving the best for second last, I see.
    That David, always aiming for the Outer Bull

    ReplyDelete