Monday 8 February 2010

81. 10 Songs About Monday

My Shadow Is A Monday - Lavender Diamond
Manic Monday - The Bangles
She Left On A Monday - Bic Runga
Monday - The Jam
Monday, Monday - The Mamas and The Papas
Monday Morning 5.19 - Rialto
Crying Like A Church On Monday - The New Radicals
Rainy Days and Mondays - The Carpenters
Monday - Wilco
Blue Monday - New Order

Sometimes I truly wonder at the banality of the subjects I pick - so now I have to write something about Monday, eh? Well, today's Monday, and generally people hate Mondays, but it's not quite as bad for me as it is for other people - in fact, it's often not that different from Saturday and Sunday. This is both a good and a bad thing.
Anyway, Monday must have enough symbolic significance to have produced all these songs, some fine songs, albeit pretty cheesy. Anyway, nothing screams of someone who bought too much music in their time than knowing a New Radicals album track. And knowing any songs by Rialto.
They're pretty much all about Monday being bad, apart from The Jam one and the Mamas and the Papas, and well, we all know they can't be trusted, the seedy fucks. I used to enjoy taking part in a pub quiz on a Monday. That was my way to make Monday fun. Getting drunk on Mondays and in the daytime are usually moments of release and triumph - it's a surprise it's not done more often.
But anyway, as you can tell, I'm struggling to elevate this ... erm, monday is named after the Moon, as in French, Lundi and most other European languages, though in Portuguese it's called Segunda Feira, as in the second market day cos let's not forget, Monday is actually the second day of the week.
But I thought what can I write about Monday, bearing in mind its all banal and meaningless and that, so I thought about the most profound and serious thing I've ever thought about Monday and that is in the last verse here.

Your last words ...

Some fine phrase from a Lambchop song
at their so-called commercial peak.
Gentle, doom-filled - wisdom, wit,
a way to add to your mystique.

Some pronouncement bold and strong
lest you should be judged as trite
"Envy alone can't be corrupted
and so, cruel world, I bid good night"

"In love alone we all endure" -
some balm for anyone who'll care.
Perhaps a song! one hummed bar
from, say, the Londonderry Air.

"La tristesse durere", or "Bugger Bognor",
self-knowledge to the very end.
"Stinks in 'ere", "farewell, sweet prince,
you've been my truest, finest friend."

Though prepared, you were not ready
and fluffed the line which was your last.
"Monday Night Football never caught on"
thus you spoke and so you passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment