Thursday 10 September 2009

54. 10 Songs about Riots

White Riot - The Clash
Street Fighting Man - The Rolling Stones
Some Riot -Elbow
I Predict a Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
Old Soul Song (for a new world order) or No one would Riot for Less - Bright Eyes
Riot Radio - The Dead 60s
Daughters of the Soho Riots - The National
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott Heron
Riot Van - Arctic Monkeys
Ghost Town - The Specials

I don't think Bob Dylan was ever in any riots, though Joe Strummer definitely was.
I've never been in a riot, whether willingly or unwillingly. I suppose it can happen when you least expect it, but really I'm a little lily-livered and would probably run off home for my tea.
I haven't even been on a march, and it's one of those things like not recycling I've got no real excuse for, so i just get a bit sneery and right-wing when challenged on it.
It wasn't always thus, I used to be pretty convinced I'd "get involved" but some of us just don't get involved, because we like watching TV too much.
I wonder what would get a riot out of me ... Eddie Murphy maybe ... Eddie Murphy post 1990, in particular. Makes me so mad.
Anyway, I look back at myself and I cringe. Just like everyone does. But you don't cringe so much if you don't have a paper record of what is cringeworthy.

I WOULDN'T RIOT FOR THAT, MAYBE I'LL RIOT AGAINST THIS

I'd hoped for somewhat better
when I looked back at anger
spraying wildly off old pages

I'd hoped the rhyme of battle
with Seattle would have carried off
the smallest tinge of wit

I'd hoped (though I remembered
the name 'The Peasant's Revolt')
that my links were not too ponderous

I'd hoped I hadn't taken the name
of Jack Straw (twofold) in vain
though I guess that was the starting point

I'd forgotten that I compared
Bill Clinton to Richard II -
I give kudos for that

I'd forgotten a rather neat line
about hating the effing stewards
and bowing before the effing owners

I'd forgotten the heavy and absurd
use of fuck and shit which used
to litter almost every verse

I'd hoped to feel more guilty
at how little I give a shit now
about riots and revolutions

instead I just felt guilty
for my poor 10 year old notebook
to've borne such foaming nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment