Wednesday 1 July 2009

41. 10 Songs about Bombs

Spanish Bombs - The Clash
Pipe Pomb - Joe Pernice
The Bomb - New Young Pony Club
B.O.B - OutKast
You Got Yr Cherry Bomb - Spoon
Zombie - The Cranberries
A-Bomb on Wardour Street - The Jam
Enola Gay - OMD
Don't Bomb When you are the Bomb or Chinese Bomb -Blur
Theme from Dambusters

The theme from Dambusters is one of the great themes, tops everything else on the list. Spanish Bombs is just about my favourite Clash song though, and the Spoon song is a favourite to run to.
The NYPC song is super too, though not about bombs really.
At school, we read Camus' 'Les Justes' which contained lines like "La bombe seule est juste", but that's the least true thing ever, there's nothing juste about la bombe. A lot of people have lived in fear of a bomb or the bomb for a long long time, some learnt to stop worrying and love it, in London town the fear is occasional, but tends to pass. West London in the early 80s and 90s was more susceptible to bombs than most places in the UK, but avoided the gravest catastrophe.
The whole city's fear of the bomb was reignited 4 or so summers ago, and I'm afraid these words, crasser than cranberries, came in the wake of that, or rather in the wake of the wake of that.
The first verse drops a lyrical bomb, which i can't bring myself to take out, but if you can look past that, well ok

In a sequence of reactions

All wrapped up again in the language of death
trying to pick between defiance and resilience,
I've slipped to the heart of my city of chaos
where the cunts have got the cops killing brazilians.

My city on standby merits solemn laments
not rolling hysteria and fatuous weblogs.
My lines are down, though, my rhymes so crass -
stung by the simply dismantled deadlock.

What knows he of London, whom London knows
to be taped up and tucked in and listlessly trapped? -
my city of safe self -mythologising
still seeking an epithet ample and apt.

Wrapped up in my own lazy language of death -
romantic for Klute and Zhivago and Vegas.
My white life, my light life - my fight might return
in a bang and flash if I'd duelled with these dangers.

But Stockwell's not 15 minutes down the road,
it's a Hollywood film set, a shallow black comedy
and I'M NOT AFRAID of a thing but myself
and the myriad ways I find to dishonour me.

If it's any help in understanding, you may remember the popular web response was people putting a picture of themselves next to the words 'I'm not afraid' and also, that was a summer i was sitting around doing nothing but watching old movies and Sky News, thinking i ought to get off my arse. That's the background to the sentiments!
Fortunately, the Ashes came along and rescued us all. Stronger than bombs!

No comments:

Post a Comment