Making a list of my 100 favourite 21st century films made me think about all the 21st century films I'd seen, and I was able to list around 750, including feature-length documentaries. I counted anything I'd seen all or most of i.e watched to the end, even if I'd picked it up on TV a few minutes in, but didn't include those I'd started but hadn't got through.
I don't know how many more, in total, there are that I can't recall - let's guess 100ish, especially if you include all those music docs I watched late at night. Might be more, might be less.
So my number's going to be good but not staggering, not compared to a real film fiend, who's watching a couple of new films a week, if not more.
Although I tend to only try to watch films I think will be good, it was actually quite gratifying, going through my memories, how many bad or mediocre films I'd found myself watching.
I won't do a big list, but I'd say my least favourite film of the millennium is:
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - and that's the first one, the one that is meant to be good. But, lured in by the widespread repots that it was a good family fun and that Johnny Depp was doing a great bit, I went to see it at the cinema - at a time when I really was into mainly "quality" dialogue-driven films - and it was just a whole different form; the dialogue was so bad, the cues were so often missed, the heart was so absent, it probably put me off good clean fun family films for a decade. Johnny Depp's bit is not good, ir's creepy and empoty, and the cast is conspicuously replete with performers who need good co-stars and sympathetic directors, and here they do not have those.
A few other terrible films: The Wedding Date, Pompeii, The Iron Lady, Russell Crowe's Robin Hood. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. In fact, maybe that is the worst film. Just, how dare they call it a film ...
And my least favourite acclaimed film ... probably The Revenant.
Which is a similar accolade, but different from, worst Best Picture winner, which was CODA, but I don't think it was particularly acclaimed, just a pretty random choice.
I also just watched Anora, and did not actually think it was good at all. In its way, even less realistic than Pretty Woman. And much less fun.
Predictable I know, but my favourite director of the century, and yes, indeed, this doesn't include their 20th century stuff, is The Coens, even though yes this includes Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers, which I'm not even sure I sat through. Hats off to Scorsese too for keeping on trying to do something different. And, you know, lots of other good directors.
Anyway, have watched a few films in the last few days, so hopefully will get my numbers up to 1000 soonish.
No comments:
Post a Comment