Thursday, 6 August 2026

100s of 10s

In about 2009, on iTunes, I made a playlist in which I included 10 songs by 100 acts, so 1000 songs in total. It's one of those playlists that didn't survive a change of hardware at some point, so I can't find what was on it, but I do remember that it began, I guess alphabetically, with Band of Horses and also I remember thinking "hmm, well it's not that eclectic, there's a lot of country and indie rock there". Of course.

And, to be fair (in a way), it being on iTunes, rather than streaming, it was made up of music that I owned, so I couldn't just go "would be nice to have a bit more variety here" without paying for it, as I can now.

But also, I suppose, in 2009, indie-rock etc was still, kind of, within the peak of its critical powers, and I might not have felt the massive urge not to have all that stuff on my list, for the guitar music did contain almost all the multitudes.

Anyway, I thought I'd do the same again (always looking for different ways to listen to the same songs), which, though it is very easy to make now on Apple Music, has been pleasantly time-consuming for the last few weeks. Though, in fact, once I'd made one "101x10" list, I remembered lots of other acts who were ideal for the treatment, so did another one, then another. So I've made three 1010 song playlists.

There's a slight discrepancy between "fun to put on list" and "fun to listen to". It's more fun not to reduce my usual suspects to 10 songs, as I've probably made lots of lists of them all before, whereas an ideal act might be one where I know I like 5 or 6 of their songs, then find there are a couple more I'd forgotten about, and then use a bit of guesswork to choose two more (it's all done pretty quickly and without doing too much research). Equally, when it comes to actually listening to the playlists, which I'm starting to do (though I know I'll never get through them all), I'll be glad to have old favourites on them.

I definitely am just more into pop music than I was in 2009, notwithstanding any deliberate attempts to have a diverse roster. I do not listen to the same music I was listening to when I was younger, and there has not been as much memorable music in the same genres to replace it.

Anyway, not sure any of this is particularly interesting. Here are the three playlists - I think I forgot to include the Beatles and the Beach Boys in the end, so heyhey, maybe there'll be a fourth ...

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/100x10/pl.u-JP6NGFjqxpe

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/101x10part2/pl.u-aZd90CvWEd8

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/101x10part2/pl.u-aZd90CvWEd8

No comments:

Post a Comment